How new composite windows can increase the value of your home
If you’re looking to update your home to make it more comfortable for your family and ultimately more saleable when you come to put it on the market, there are a number of cost-effective improvements that can add value to your home, including updating the windows.
According to a survey** by NAEA Propertymark 73% of British homeowners have spent more than £40bn over the last five years making home improvements. The most popular upgrades were redecorating (73%) and garden landscaping (54%), followed by new flooring, bathroom and kitchen.
25% of homeowners invested in new windows – often an important factor when attracting buyers, particularly when improving the energy efficiency rating of the property and the kerb-side appeal, not to mention the cost-saving on energy bills for the homeowner.
In a 2018 survey* by NAEA Propertymark on ‘The top 20 property turn-offs’, outdated properties or those in a poor state of repair were one of the biggest issues to put off potential buyers.
A helpful article on the Homebuilding & Renovating website lists ‘20 Sure Ways to Add Value to your Home’:***
- Identify and Remedy Structural Problems
- Ensure Central Heating is in Working Order
- Update Services – Electricity & Plumbing
- Convert Your Loft
- Tackle Superficial Defects – such as peeling paint, sticking windows, loose tiles etc
- Replace Windows – double-glazing is considered an essential to most buyers and can add considerable value to a property, triple-glazing even more so.
- Remodel Existing Space Before Adding More – eg. combine dining room and kitchen, add or remove walls to achieve a better layout.
- Improve or Add to Existing Accommodation – add an extra bedroom by dividing up extra space or converting roof space.
- Give the Kitchen a Makeover
- Makeover Existing Bathrooms
- Don’t Forget the Garden – it should be tidy as a minimum, add fences and trees, garden structures such as pergolas, functional areas such as barbecue or seating
- Optimise Kerb Appeal – another good reason to replace the windows and front door, repainting or repointing brickwork.
- Add a Conservatory – it can add far more to the value of the property than it costs, and a great way to bring the outside in and maximise natural light. (Westcoast Windows sliding doors are an ideal feature and allow easy access to the outdoor spaces).
- Add a Memorable Feature – give your property the wow factor and set it apart from others for sale in the area.
- Renew Leases, Buy More Land and Apply for Planning
- Restore or Enhance the Building’s Character – inappropriate alterations or additions to a property can depress its value, such as windows that are out of keeping – new composite windows can be designed with styles and glazing bars to suit the style of your property and have even been approved for listed buildings.
- Create Off-Street Parking
- Add More Storage Space
- Add Bathrooms/Shower Rooms
- Make Your Property the Pick of the Bunch – just by adding a lick of paint, careful styling and decluttering it is possible to add 5-10% to the value of a property.
Westcoast Windows manufacture Swedish energy efficient composite windows in double or triple-glazing. Our composite windows can help reduce your energy bills, insulate your home against external noise and improve the look of your home. The smart low maintenance aluminium exterior is available in a range of powder-coated colours to suit the external appearance of your home and the wood interior adds a warmth and authentic feel to the inside.
Composite windows are more affordable than you might think, particularly when you take into account the money you’ll save on energy bills and regular maintenance of your old windows.
Get in touch with our UK team who can discuss your project and put you in touch with one of our regional distribution partners, so you can really see the quality of our windows for yourself.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01359 241944.