Secure your home with the help of Secured by Design accredited composite windows
Improving your home security reduces the chance of you becoming the victim of a burglar. Secured by Design (SBD) have created a guide for home security and for buying physical security products that have met their high standards.
It is important for buildings of all types to be physically secure to deter criminal activity and reduce crime. SBD has worked with manufacturers, the construction industry and standards authorities for many years to ensure that security standards are current and updated to keep pace with emerging crime trends.
SBD membership recognises that products not only have been tested to relevant security standards but also fully certified by an independent third-party certification body accredited by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS).
Secured by Design member company status is awarded to companies producing security products that have achieved the Police Preferred Specification, such as Westcoast Windows composite windows, doors and sliding doors.
Academic research has shown repeatedly over the last ten years that this requirement for SBD accredited attack resistant quality products has reduced burglary where they have been installed.
Home Security Facts & Figures
- More than one million homes built to SBD standards over the last 30 years with crime reductions of up to 87% on new developments and 61% in major refurbishment projects
- The Association of British Insurers has estimated that the introduction of Secured by Design standards across the UK would bring more than £3.2 billion worth of savings to the economy over 20 years.
- Householders who aren’t offered security recommendations after a burglary are 69% more likely to suffer a repeat incident than those who are offered advice.
- High crime is one reason why people move home. One survey noted that 5.3 million people said that concern about crime levels and a desire to move to a safer location was their main reason for moving home.
How to improve your home security
- Follow Secured by Design advice to decide which elements you need to improve in your home
- If your budget is limited, focus on doors, locks, windows and perhaps a small safe for your valuables
- Always identify 2 or 3 companies that provide the security you need to compare quality and price
- Choose a supplier by:
– Looking for products with the Secured by Design Police Preferred Specification logo, as these meet their high standards
– Recommendation from friends
– A member of a nationally recognised organisation specialising in security
- Check ID before allowing visitors into your home
- Suggest areas of home security you would like to improve to your potential suppliers and ask for a written quote detailing the work and the cost. Compare prices with competitors before agreeing
- Save money by using your DIY skills to fit approved products
- Never discuss your security needs with doorstep or telephone callers
- Do not agree to work without a written quote detailing the work and cost
- You should not disclose personal information like health problems or high risk items including jewellery until you
have decided on your supplier and believe it’s essential for their work
- Under no circumstances go to your bank or cash machine with an installer or salesman.
- Only pay for the work once the job is completed to your satisfaction. You can ask a friend or family member for a second opinion
Westcoast Windows design high performance composite windows and doors, manufactured in Sweden following the principles of functional, yet elegant design, efficiency and exceptional durability. Our aim is to meet the high demands of our customers and build high quality windows and doors giving consideration to how they will be used throughout their lifetime.
Westcoast Windows’ Managing Director, Andrew Mills comments
“We are committed to manufacturing windows and doors to the highest safety and security standards, and our continued partnership with Secured by Design assures our customers of the very highest security certification.”
Read more about composite windows security and the high quality bonded construction of our products at: About Westcoast composite windows
To find out more about Secured by Design visit their website: www.securedbydesign.com