WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF TRUE BONDED COMPOSITE WINDOWS COMPARED TO ALUMINIUM CLAD WINDOWS?
If you’re looking for high quality windows for your self-build, renovation or replacement windows you might consider aluminium clad windows. However, the next generation of aluminium timber window is now available on the UK market – a true composite bonded window manufactured in Sweden.
WHAT IS AN ALUMINIUM CLAD WINDOW?
Aluminium clad windows are basically a standard timber window with a piece of aluminium clipped to the outer face of the window. This creates a gap between the aluminium and timber, allowing air and therefore moisture and dirt to penetrate the timber, thus requiring it to be treated with environmentally unfriendly anti-rot chemicals. As the timber section is indirectly exposed, the aluminium would have to be periodically removed and the timber section refurbished to maximise the life of the window.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES AND BENEFITS BETWEEN ALUMINIUM CLAD WINDOWS AND TRUE BONDED ALUMINIUM TIMBER COMPOSITE WINDOWS?
There is a fundamental and important difference between aluminium clad windows and the Swedish unique bonded construction composite windows.
Westcoast Windows’ unique bonded aluminium and timber composite window system utilises a high density timber inner section bonded to a powder coated aluminium outer section to create a window with maximum lifespan and minimum maintenance.
The primary benefit of the true composite Westcoast Windows system over aluminium clad windows is that the timber and aluminium is bonded via a butyl tape, which is compressed to eradicate all air. No air means no condensation can build between the timber and aluminium sections. This creates the added benefit of allowing the window to be sealed in the building at the extreme outside face of the aluminium, meaning no part of the timber section is exposed to the elements. This in turn means the timber section doesn’t need to be preserved, leading to a more environmentally friendly product with a longer lifespan and less maintenance.
This genuine composite Swedish system, unique to Westcoast Windows, makes our windows and doors distinctly different from other aluminium clad timber products on the market, as the aluminium and timber are bonded to make a true composite frame and sash.
Our philosophy is to build windows of the highest quality with carefully selected materials to our unique and innovative design. All of our products are hand-assembled ensuring consistency in quality (which can be lacking in aluminium clad windows and doors where poor quality, unstable cladding can compromise the lifespan of the product).
Originally developed for the harsh climates of Scandinavia, our high performance composite aluminium timber windows offer exceptional durability and energy efficiency. The timber element of the unique composite system acts as a thermal break enabling the frame to offer very high levels of insulation and all of our products are available with double or triple glazing.
The combination of aluminium and timber in the composite construction from Westcoast offers you all the style and durability of aluminium externally with all the warmth and character of wood inside, with the freedom to specify a bespoke appearance inside and out. Knot-free, laminated timbers from sustainable forests ensure a consistent interior finish with no unsightly knots and finishes include a wide variety of stains or paint colours.
Elegant powder-coated exterior aluminium profiles are available in range of colours and styles to complement your design. Find out more in: STYLES & OPTIONS.
COMPOSITE WINDOW CONSTRUCTION
- GLAZING GASKET Compliment the colour of the window by choosing either a black or light grey glazing gasket. Both inside and outside.
- GLASS You can select from almost all glass types available on the market today. For all the contemporary demands of thermal insulation, sound attenuation, solar control, safety or security. Double or triple glazing.
- MAINTENANCE FREE The powder coated aluminium finish protects the window against UV and extreme weather.
- BONDED CONSTRUCTION Aluminium and timber are bonded to make a truly composite frame and sash. The timber element acts as a thermal break enabling the frame to offer very high levels of insulation.
- HIGH QUALITY TIMBER Slow grown redwood from sustainable forests with a density of 550kg/m³ (Industry norms state 450kg/m³). No environmentally unfriendly Vac-Vac, anti-rot treatment of the timber is required as none of the timber is exposed to the weather.
- KNOT FREE Knot free laminated timber is used throughout which produces a consistent timber finish and no unsightly knots.
- DRAINED AND VENTILATED The aluminium extrusions are specially designed to allow the window frame to be fully drained and ventilated, preventing harmful moisture and rot from damaging the timber.
- EXTERNAL GROOVE A groove built in to the aluminium extrusion extends around the entire perimeter of the window, allowing the window to be cleanly sealed on closure.
- INTERNAL FINISH We use only environmentally friendly water based finishes. Three coats of paint provide an industry leading finish.
- WEATHER SEAL All seals are housed into grooves within the sash, creating exceptional air and weather prevention.
Take a look at the colour and finishes available for the low maintenance power-coated exterior and warm wood interior of Westcoast composite windows: STYLES & OPTION