COMPOSITE WINDOWS FOR SELF BUILD HOMES – HELP TO BUILD LOAN SCHEME NEWS
Composite windows are ideal for the self build home, and now the government have launched their scheme to help make building your own home more affordable. Help to Build is a new government equity loan that will be available to people in England who want to custom build or self build their own home.
The Help to Build concept is modelled on the Help to Buy scheme, with applications opening this winter 2021/22. With the Help to Build mortgage entry level much lower than a standard mortgage (as low as 5% compared to the standard 15%) this scheme is not only aimed at people who have owned or built a home before, but also at potential home owners who may only have a small deposit.
The benefits of a custom or self build home are:
- A bespoke design to suit your lifestyle, energy efficiency and technology
- A bespoke layout to suit your family’s needs
- Your choice of location – often smaller plots are available for development in your chosen location
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CUSTOM BUILD AND SELF BUILD?
Custom build – working with a professional homebuilder who will manage the project for you.
Self build – you handle everything yourself, including buying the land, purchasing the materials and hiring the contractors.
Shell build – you hire a professional to build the structure of your home (foundations, external walls and roof) and you take on the internal layout and design, such as the walls, rooms sizes, internal finishes, fixtures and fittings.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR HELP TO BUILD?
- If you are 18 years of age or over and have a right to live in England
- If you will live in your new home as your only home
- If you secure your self build mortgage from a lender registered on the Help to Build Scheme
- If you have a deposit of at least 5%
- If your total spend is £600,000 or less, including the cost of the land if you don’t already own it, and no more than £400,000 on the cost to build it.
OTHER THINGS TO KNOW:
- The loan is interest free for the first five years – from year six you will pay interest on the loan.
- The total amount to repay at redemption is linked to the value of the home at the time, not the amount you originally borrowed.
- You pay a £1 monthly management fee for the life of the equity loan.
- You must repay your equity loan at the end of the term (usually 25 years), when you sell your home, pay off your mortgage, or you can repay at any time before.
Westcoast offer an ideal energy efficient glazing solution for custom or self build homes with our double or triple-glazed high performance Swedish composite windows. Available in a wide range of bespoke sizes, styles, opening and finishes, with environmental credentials, we can work with you, your architect and/or contractor to find a solution right for your needs and budget.
For further reading and information visit: